Saturday, January 24, 2009

Weekend special: God Bless the Foo Fighters

Over the last week or so, the Foo Fighters have been all over the music channels. The live show at the Garden and the live show at Wembly. All this Foo Fighter goodness reminded me of a post from the “archives”. So without further ado...

by Jesse
originally published 11/05

Let me just start off by saying thank god for the Foo Fighters. Honestly. Let’s face facts here. If it weren’t for the Foo Fighters, we’d be suffering through some serious garbage. Have you turned on the radio lately? Where’s the rock music? If I have to hear one more whiney singer/songwriter whining about the weather, I just might puke.

Let me clarify something, so you understand where I’m coming from. Just because radio stations continue to play the Who, by no means that rock is on the radio. If I never heard from the Who, the Stones, Hendrix and Van Halen again, I’d be a happy man for the rest of my days. Seriously. How many more times can we possibly hear the same old songs?


stupid hippies!!!


I gotta tell you, the only thing I can’t stand more than people prattling on more about their money, are folks that prattle on about the 60’s. “Oh, the 60’s were about change, man. The music, blah, blah, blah.” Fuck you. Sure, you hippie’s may have started a cultural revolution in the 60’s, but obviously you fuckers never heard of follow thru. How about finishing it? You same hippie bastards, are the one’s who let the country turn into the shape it’s in today. Gee…thanks. Crappy music, crappy TV, McDonald’s and Starbucks on every corner, deficit out the arse, yet another unwinnable war. Great!

And speaking of that war, why would you former hippies allow the country to get itself back into a mess like this? Aren’t you cats suppose to be these great leaders? Remember the protests in the fabulous sixties? Remember Vietnam? Hmmmm. Probably not. All that jingling from all those coins in your pockets must have done something to your memory. I guess that’s what happens when you sell your soul to the stock market.

And don’t get me started about all the "great" music from the 60's. Because everyone knows that all musical innovation began and ended in the 60’s. {eye roll} Know why music sucks today? Because all you hear on the friggin’ radio are the same friggin’ bands from thirty years ago. Why have the Stones put out another cd? Why? Why? No one cares! Oh...that's right! Mick Jagger must have another alimony payment due.

My ol’ man and I would get into arguments all the time. And by arguments I mean him screaming at me how stupid I was. He would go on about how worthless my generation was. How much our music sucked. How lazy we were. Know how I countered him? You former hippies sold us out. You made us this way. Instead of keeping up the revolution, you made money more important. Make money. Make money. Do I gotta remind you of the yuppie phenomena?

So, I respectfully say: Fuck the 60’s

But, I digress…

Which brings me back to the Foo Fighters. These cats are putting out quality music day in and day out. Yea, Nirvana may have birthed a musical genre (however sucky Grunge may have been, it’s still fucking popular. Which is totally beyond my grasp. I guess I must have left all my teenage angst at the door), but the Foo Fighters, well, just fucking rock.


you'd be smilin' to if you had an eighth of the cash in his pocket


In fact, I’ve even have gone out on a limb and named Everlong as my favorite song. Ever. For real. Whenever I get asked what my favorite song is, I say Everlong. Go ahead. Ask. I’ll tell you. It's Everlong.

But, as great as Everlong is, mostly every song by the Foo’s is quality. I know. I know. I know that sounds like a lot of ball licking, but it’s true. Here. I’ll pick out a song at random and you can see for yourself. How about “One”:

You’re not the one
But you’re the only one
Who makes me feel like this.
You’re not the one
But you’re the only one
Who makes me feel like shit.


I mean, c’mon! It’s pure genius!!!


aruba, jamaica. oooo i wanna take you


So, god bless the Foo Fighters. May they keep on rocking. Until they shouldn’t. And end up putting out songs like “Kokomo”.

No comments:

Post a Comment